Wildlife on Roads: A Handbook
A must-have for students, professionals, road maintenance personnel, and citizen scientists interested in road ecology
Eco-Kare would like to thank our sponsors, illustrator and designers, our printer First Choice Books, and our reviewers and photographers
- Our new online store is open! CLICK HERE to purchase your copies
- The cost of a full-colour book (80# silk paper; 232 pages, ~130 colour photos) is $29.95 CAD (~$22.62 US).
- Mail-outs will then be completed the first week in March in time for the upcoming field season!
- CLICK HERE to EMAIL orders for more than 4 books or to process orders off-line.
- A literature review piece outlining the impacts of roads on amphibians, turtles, squamates, mammals and birds with tips for collecting on-road information
- Followed by species essays of diagnostic features relevant to road-killed animals as well as information as to why specific species may be found alive or dead-on-roads
- A concluding chapter on citizen science data collection and management, with details on collecting location and photo information for upload into on-line databases such as iNaturalist
- 12 relevant case studies on on-road citizen science projects and mitigation solutions in Ontario
- 140 photos relevant to key diagnostic features of species and/or to illustrate animals as observed on roads
- 12 illustrations comparing and contrasting key diagnostic features by species and taxa by Aleta Karstad: an award-winning Canadian nature artist (see Robert Bateman Award here)
- A customized data sheet with fields for citizen science on-road data collection along with link to an iNaturalist database for upload of observations in Ontario
- Field and on-line resource section for each relevant taxa
- 142 references sorted by each relevant taxa
- 5 page glossary of terms relevant to wildlife on roads data collection
- Index of species with provincial (Ontario) and federal (Canada) conservation status